Third Line Engineer
Glasgow Head Office
1 Essential Skills
You will possess most if not all of these skills.
· Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft server operating systems from Server 2003 on, gained within a commercial environment.
· Experience with Microsoft Office 365, single sign on & Azure including Azure AD, migrations (from various sources) and advanced troubleshooting.
· Microsoft SQL server installation & maintenance.
· Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Exchange server, including hybrid Exchange/Office365 deployments.
· Network design, implementation and troubleshooting experience, including VLAN, VPN and IP routing.
· Comprehensive knowledge of virtualization using Microsoft Hyper-V, including server specification, implementation and troubleshooting.
· Understanding of storage technologies, including NAS, ISCSI & RAID, including design, deployment, troubleshooting and redundancy.
· Excellent customer service skills, both on site and by telephone.
· The ability to take ownership of an issue and ensure it is resolved, including escalation to external vendors or third party suppliers as required.
· Self-motivated and comfortable working in a fast paced, multi-client environment with minimal supervision.
2 Desirable Skills
While not essential, possession of any of these skills is advantageous.
· HP server hardware support, including ILO remote support experience.
· Experience with Draytek router configuration.
· 3cx and/or Elastix/FreePBX/Asterisk certification.
· Field support experience.
· Microsoft qualifications – Cloud Services, Server 2012, Office365, Azure, Exchange.
· Any Linux server experience would be desirable.
Some local travel to and from client sites will be required, as such you should be in possession of a full UK driving license. Please note that due to insurance restrictions on our vehicles candidates must be at least 21 years of age.
3 About You
You will be a self-motivated individual who enjoys working in a challenging yet rewarding environment. You will be comfortable learning on the job and capable of rapidly adjusting to new and unfamiliar systems. You will have a methodical and analytical approach to troubleshooting issues and will be comfortable working under pressure. Ideally you will have at least 5-10 years of commercial IT experience with at least 3 years in a second/third line role. Possession of any formal Microsoft qualification is advantageous but by no means essential – troubleshooting and customer service skills are critical.
You will require excellent time management skills and the ability to work independently at times. You should be a good communicator and comfortable presenting technical concepts in a non-technical manner to clients. You may at times be required to produce documentation (site documentation, project plans etc.) so a good standard of written English is essential.
This position will involve some project work at times. It is expected that you will act as the lead engineer on these projects, as such you should be comfortable leading a small ad-hoc team and providing support/guidance to them as necessary.
This position would suit someone currently in a third line role who is looking for a fresh challenge or potentially an experienced second line engineer looking to move into a more senior role.